Today I was watching an interesting TED Talk with Simon Sinek on The Power of Why and how this relates to marketing, branding, and so on. This can be easily applied to our career growth, networking, etc.
Here’s how he explained it:
* He drew a few circles on a flipchart: the outer circle being WHAT, the circle inside that being HOW, and the very inner circle being WHY. This diagram is called the Golden Circle.
* He mentioned that most people/companies operate from the outside in. (They talk about WHAT they do/make, HOW they do it, and lastly WHY they do it.)
* He explains how the best innovators instead do it in the reverse and work from the inside out.
(You can check it on the video at: http://www.startwithwhy.com/)
Here’s how it works:
* first the WHY: why you do what you do which includes: your purpose, cause or belief; driving motivation for action
* then the HOW: how you’re different, how you do it (how you deliver your “why”): strategies, principles, actions you take or environment in which you work best
* and lastly the WHAT: what you offer and/or do
You need to promote to and attract people who believe what we believe. People buy what you believe.
Interestingly enough, I was a call-in guest today on Career Success Radio, and a live example of the Golden Circle was used. Co-host Keith Keller FIRST asked author Karen Adamedes about what the inspiration was behind her book. In other words, what he first cared to know about was the WHY. A great real life example of how valuable this marketing perspective can be.
I thought about it and decided to give it a try with my own business…
* WHY I do what I do: I believe that people enjoy personal and professional growth and development if the process is one of self-discovery or re-discovery. I believe that we learn best when our minds are illuminated, when we feel inspired, when the learning is interactive and we can immediately integrate our learning into real life application for positive results.
* HOW: By facilitating a fun, dynamic, and experiential process. By delivering a level of service that is transparent and authentic, enthusiastic and engaging, personable and professional.
* WHAT: Powerful Personal Enrichment Workshops on a variety of topics: http://www.brendablackburn.com/training/race-training-topics.pdf
I think this is a great little exercise that you can use to aid in your own career. For example, whether you are exploring new careers, job searching, wanting career advancement, or strategizing for your business, you can use this WHY, HOW, WHAT model for your branding, marketing, promotion, and networking.
Please feel free to comment by sharing your examples of your WHY, HOW, WHAT!